Chapter 6: A Brief Diversion
北米版ファイアーエムブレム蒼炎の軌跡「Path of Radiance」の章会話（第6章 陽動作戦）。
The continent of Tellius, blessed by the
goddess. To the northwest lies the land of
Crimea, home of the Greil Mercenaries.▼
Without warning, Crimea's eastern neighbor,
the kingdom of Daein, launches an attack
on Crimea's capital city of Melior.▼
Ike leads a handful of mercenaries to Melior
to confirm Soren's news of the attack.▼
En route, they happen upon a young woman,
unconscious but unharmed. Fearing for her
safety, they take her to their stronghold.▼
When she awakens, the woman gives her
name as Elincia and lays claim to the
title of princess of Crimea.▼
She relates the sad tale of her flight from
Crimea and of her parents' murder at the
hands of Ashnard, king of Daein.▼
The Greil Mercenaries answer Princess
Elincia's plea for help and agree to
escort her to the kingdom of Gallia.▼
Located to the southwest of Crimea,
Gallia is home to the laguz, a race quite
unlike Ike and his fellow beorc.▼
Crimea and Gallia have long struggled
to overcome their differences.▼
In recent years, the two kingdoms
have done much to ease the prejudice
between the laguz and beorc factions.▼
Their combined efforts have forged a
bond of trust and friendship that may
yet overcome years of intolerance.▼
Ike and company escape the Daein army,
abandoning their longtime base. From there,
they begin the long march toward Gallia.▼
Their task clear and their destination far,
they slip into an ocean of trees.▼
- Blazes, why does it have to be so
blamed humid? If we weren't being chased,
I'd strip off this armor here and now!▼
- Then I'm almost glad that we ARE being
pursued. I suppose you'll have to grin
and bear it, won't you?▼
- Hm, I suppose I will.▼
- Right. So enough of your griping.
You're merely wasting energy.▼
Still, this heat is appalling.▼
- Dense forests such as these are
not made for us delicate humans.
The sub-humans love 'em, though.▼
- These...sub-humans... Are they really
so different from us?▼
- What, you mean to tell me you've
never seen a beast-man before?▼
- No, never.▼
- Well, I have.
They're a hairy bunch, I'll tell you.▼
And ugly as sin, too. Their faces are
all fangs and whisker. Their claws are like
daggers, razor sharp and deadly.▼
And even though they can speak our
language, they're beasts through and
through. Savages, every one.▼
- Are there more than one type?▼
- The ones Shinon calls "sub-humans"
can be divided into three groups, each one
named for its physical characteristics.▼
First, the beast tribe, next, the bird
tribe, and finally, the dragon tribe.
They are traditionally called "laguz".▼
The laguz tribe residing here in Gallia
is the beast tribe, who possess those
feline qualities of which Shinon spoke.▼
- To the south are the islands where the
bird-men live. The dragons are in Goldoa.
It's something every mercenary should know.▼
Looks like you know even less than
I gave you credit for, Ike, my boy.▼
- Hm... Perhaps.▼
- ...A little farther, and we'll be
out of these trees, Ike.▼
- Really? That means Gallia proper!
Compared to this forest, even a kingdom
of half-breeds will seem like heaven.▼
- ...And that's when we lost track of them.
I assigned a squad to pursue them and
returned so I could give you this report.▼
- Understood. You may step down.▼
So Princess Elincia is making her way
through the forest to Gallia...▼
It appears your advice was sound.
Well done. You have earned my praise.▼
- Thank you.▼
- When the king assigned me a tactician,
I wondered what I had done to lose
his trust. When I saw it was a young girl,▼
I burned with anger at the king's judgment.
Still, it's worked out better than I had
expected. Keep up the good work.▼
- Of course.▼
- Now then, it's time for the hunt to begin.▼
- Hold it right there, everyone.
We're coming up to the edge of the forest.
Form up. Combat positions.▼
- I don't suppose our Daein pursuers
were willing to let us just slip away.▼
- There is no doubt that they will attack
again. Without knowing their numbers,
it is difficult to advise a course of action.▼
- Take your best guess, Soren.▼
With the limited information we have,
what is the best way to proceed?▼
- ...Some of our group cannot fight.
If we are caught, we'll have a difficult time
defending them and attacking the Daeins.▼
I propose we separate into two groups:
a small fighting force to engage the enemy
and buy the main group some time,▼
and the rest of us-- who will escort
the princess to Gallia at full speed.▼
- You want to divide our combat strength?
The main force aside, don't you think the
risk to the smaller group is too high?▼
- I believe this is the only way to achieve
our goal and keep casualties
to a minimum.▼
It's possible there's an ambush waiting
for us at the edge of the forest.▼
If we proceed with no plan, we may be
caught between the pursuit and the ambush,
which would be the end of us all.▼
- Looks like we've no choice but to
give it a go.▼
All right, let's split up. The diversionary
team will be Gatrie, Shinon, and me.▼
The rest of you guard Princess Elincia
and proceed to Gallia straightaway.
- Are you sure you're taking enough men?▼
- Idiot pup. Smaller numbers mean better
mobility. Your time would be better spent
worrying about yourself than about us.▼
- Listen up! This will probably prove to be
the biggest fight this company's faced.▼
Remember--you've got only one life.
I don't want any of you dying on me.▼
In times like these, it matters not what
our blood ties are. We are family.▼
If you don't want to cause your family any
grief, then live!▼
Ike will be commanding the main force.
Titania, you're is support. All right,
let's move out! See you all in Gallia!
- So they're waiting for us after all...▼
- There are...more of them than
I'd imagined there would be.▼
I thought they would have been
spread out across the forest border... I
didn't expect to see so many in one place.▼
- Do we rethink our strategy?▼
- No, we've already split up.
It's too late to reconsider now.▼
- Isn't there some way we can at
least get the princess, Mist, and Rolf
to the far shore safely?▼
- There are two bridges...
This thicket extends to the edge
of the westernmost bridge.▼
If we can use the trees as cover,
we might be able to reach the bridge
From there, we can launch a
- We'll be creating a diversion, right?▼
While we keep the enemy's attention,
the princess and the others
can cross the bridge to safety.▼
- We've no time for discussion.
That's the plan we go with.▼
- My lord Ike, I...
I will fight with you!▼
- ...No, you won't.▼
- My lord?▼
- I cannot let you expose yourself
to danger of any kind.▼
Everyone here is risking his life
to ensure your safety.▼
If you understand that, you'll
cooperate and do as I ask.▼
- I see...
I will do my part.▼
- It's settled then.▼
- Right! Let's break through
Take care of the princess.
Do not let yourselves be seen!▼
Be careful, everyone!▼
- Leave it to us, Ike! We'll just pretend
it's a game of hide-and-seek. And
I never lose at hide-and-seek!▼
- Everyone ready? Let's go!▼
- We've spotted the mercenaries! You
there! Inform General Petrine at once!
Request that she gather the troops!▼
- Yes, sir!▼
- What's this? They're not bad!
Let's go, men! Hit those mercenary
scum with everything you have!▼
- I will not allow you
to take one step more!▼
- Then I've no choice but to cut
you down and walk over you!▼
- Try me! I'll not let even a single
solder get past!▼
- Oooh... My life ends here...
But...though you flee to Gallia...
you will...fall to Daein...▼
- I'm going to ride ahead, Ike.
I want to see if there are
more enemy units ahead.▼
- Ike! I'm going ahead.
I'll keep the road secure!▼
- Are you sure you don't need
me to stay behind and watch
- I don't like it, but I'll follow
your orders and go ahead...
but, Ike, watch yourself!▼
- I wonder if should really
go on ahead.
You'd better hurry, Ike!▼
- Time to get out of here!▼
- I don't know how, but
we made it...▼
- My lord Ike!▼
- Mist! Princess, Rolf...
Are you all well?▼
- Yep! We're fine.▼
- Is this Gallia? We made it, didn't
we? We're safe now, right? I thought
I would feel different, but I don't.▼
- This is all due to your efforts.
- Princess Elincia...▼
- It's still too early to rest easy.
The others haven't rejoined us yet.▼
- We are talking about the commander.
I don't think there's anything to worry
- Father... Shinon... Gatrie...▼
- ...Princess Elincia, I'm afraid
we're going to have to part ways here.▼
- But what do you mean?▼
- We're going back to aid our companions.▼
So I want you to continue with Mist
to the royal palace of Gallia.▼
- What? No, Ike! I'm going
to stay with you!▼
- Listen to me, Mist!
We must do it this way so that
everyone gets out of here alive!▼
- Father and I will catch up to you right
away! Don't worry. Have Father
or I ever broken a promise to you?▼
All right, then. We'll go ahead.▼
- Thank you, Mist.
We'll see you soon.▼
- All right. Titania... Please take care
of my brother. Promise?▼
- You have my word on it.▼
- Oscar... Boyd... Don't get
killed out there, all right?▼
- Knock it off, both of you!
You're like a couple of old women.▼
We're gonna be fine. Nothing bad's
gonna happen while I'm around!▼
- Pardon, my lord Rhys...▼
- Take this with you, please.▼
- This is a mend staff, isn't it?
Er, are you sure this is all right?▼
- Every one of you is putting yourself
in harm's way on my account.▼
I only hope that staff can mitigate
your risks even slightly.▼
（You got a Mend）
- Thank you very much! This will help
greatly. I will use it to aid the others
in your name.▼
- ...Thank you.
- If you'll excuse me.▼
- O benevolent Ashera...
Grant them all your blessings...▼
- All right, we're going to go now.▼
- Good luck. Watch your step,
and be careful.▼
- We'll see all of you again... I'm sure of it!
I know you will all be safe.▼
- Let's get moving!
Where to, Soren?▼
- We go east on the road we used before.
Let's find the commander before
the enemy reinforcements show up.▼