Chapter 4: Roadside Battle
北米版ファイアーエムブレム蒼炎の軌跡「Path of Radiance」の章会話（第4章 街道の戦い）。
- Ike! Ike!
I've got to tell you something!
Listen to this!▼
- Settle down, Mist. It's too early for
you to be yelling like that.
Now, what's going on?▼
- Soren's back! He just arrived.▼
- Really? That's odd. He wasn't supposed
to return for a while yet.▼
- I know! I wonder what he's doing
back so soon...▼
- It's probably nothing to worry about.
I'll go and talk to him.▼
Where is he?▼
- In the mess hall. I think he
wanted to talk to Father.▼
- Right. I'll go check there.▼
- ...Troubling news indeed.
Gather the troops.▼
- Yes, Commander.▼
- Ike, if you've got time to waste,
you've got time to work. Get
over to the briefing room.▼
- Yes, sir.▼
- Hey! What's going on around here?
- Bad news. Something big is happening,
and we need to formulate a plan of action.▼
- Hello, Ike. Long time, no see.▼
- I'm happy to see you're back.▼
But what happened? I thought
you were going to be studying
for a while longer.▼
- It's a long story...▼
- What's the hold up?
Get over here now!▼
- Let's go. I'll fill you in later.▼
- You probably remember that Soren's been
training with another mercenary group.
Well, he's back now.▼
And he has some unbelievable news.▼
- What news is that?▼
- It's Crimea and Daein.
They've gone to war.▼
- War?! It... It can't be!▼
- That's why I've called everyone
here. Soren has some more
information. Go ahead, Soren.▼
- All right.▼
- Take a look at this map.▼
- Ah. It's a map of Crimea. Quite
detailed, from the looks of it.▼
- Yes. This is the Melior, Crimea's capital.▼
Our base of operations is...
right about here.▼
Everything started three days ago.▼
I needed to do some research,
so I went to the archives of Melior's
Without warning, the scream of a terrible
beast--a wyvern, perhaps--rent the air,
and the building was rocked by a tremor.▼
I rushed outside and saw wave after wave
of knights, cavalry, and wyvern riders,▼
each clad in glistening ebon armor, black
- The Daein army?▼
- Was there provocation?▼
- As you know, relations between Crimea and
Daein have never been...friendly.▼
However, the past centuries have seen only
minor skirmishes, nothing that has ever
approached the scale of this attack.▼
It was brutal and without warning. Daein
laid the capital to waste. I've never seen▼
destruction on this scale before.▼
- A swift attack, devastating and brutal...
A daring gambit, indeed.▼
- But if it succeeds, a very well-chosen
one at that.▼
Yes, the king of Daein would not hesitate
to employ such treacherous tactics.▼
What happened next?▼
- King Crimea's brother deployed the Crimean
army to meet the attack.▼
The king ordered his people to flee the city
before the battle reached them. Fearing the
worst, I also fled and made my way here.▼
- So we don't know how the tides
of battle flow now, do we?▼
- That's all right. Word of the war cannot
have traveled far yet. We may well be the
first ones who know of it out here.▼
You did well to bring us this information,
Soren. I know some risk was involved.▼
- It was nothing.▼
- Daein has invaded Crimea...
We may be mercenaries, but this still
- What are we going to do?▼
- That's the question of the day.
How do you see it, Titania?▼
- Crimea is the closest thing our company
has to a homeland.▼
The Crimean royal family and noble houses
have been generous, providing us with
many lucrative jobs.▼
From a moral standpoint as well as a
business one, it's in our best interest
to help Crimea.▼
- And you, Soren?▼
- I agree on one point: we are mercenaries.
We are not Crimea's private militia.▼
No coin has crossed our palms,
so I think we should stay out of it.▼
- So you would have us sit and watch
as Crimea is overrun?▼
- I would. Daein's troops are superior in
both numbers and morale. The chances
of a Crimean victory are slim indeed.▼
- But Crimea is ruled by King Ramon, who is
known throughout the land for his wisdom.▼
And his brother, Duke Renning, is said to
possess peerless valor and courage.
Daein may not find victory so easily.▼
- Valor and courage are for children's tales.
In terms of military prowess, Daein's King
Ashnard is every bit Lord Renning's equal.▼
Victory will hinge on troop numbers
and supplies, and Daein is superior in both.
I think the outcome is painfully obvious.▼
- Curse you, Soren! Crimea is not doomed!
If they can turn aside Daein's initial thrust
and turn it into a test of endurance...▼
- With the Crimean army both demoralized
and ill prepared? They simply will not
be able to hold out that long.▼
- All right. That's enough.
Both of you.▼
I hear what you say. However,
we must ascertain the current situation
before we decide on any action.▼
We'll send a scouting party to get
a closer look at Melior.▼
Ike, I want you in charge of this.
Assemble your men and get going.▼
- What? Me?▼
- Titania will accompany you as an advisor.▼
- Commander, you must be joking!
He's just a boy, and he's had barely
more than a taste of battle.▼
What do you expect a whelp like
him to accomplish?▼
- Ah, Shinon. Since you're so concerned,
you can go as well.▼
- Wait, that's not what I...
- Who else... Gatrie, Rhys, and
Soren. That should do.▼
- Father, wait...
Why do you want me--▼
- That was an order. Get moving.
There's no time to waste.▼
- Yes, sir.▼
- Titania, I'm going out for a bit.
I want you to give Ike some direction.▼
- ...Yes, sir.▼
- Ike! Wait up!▼
- Here! This is for you.▼
（You got a Regal Sword）
- A sword?
Where did you get it?▼
- From Father. He told me to come
and give it to you.▼
- It's beautiful.▼
- This is the first sword you've gotten
that wasn't a hand-me-down from
from somebody, isn't it? That's great!▼
- Well, be careful! Oh, and bring
me a souvenir! Something nice.
I've never been to Melior before...▼
- Mist, I'm not going on a vacation. Sheesh!▼
- Are you feeling all right, Ike?
You haven't said a word in
quite some time.▼
- I don't understand what my father's doing.
Why put a new recruit like me in
charge of something so important?▼
- You're going to succeed him as
our commander one day.▼
Don't you think he wants you to
know how to lead?▼
- Me? I don't... I don't know if I'm capable.
And even if I am, that day's a long
way off, right?▼
I mean, I'm inexperienced. Weak.
I'm nothing compared to my father.▼
- I'm not so sure about that.
When I look at you, I see a young
man full of promise.▼
Commander Greil is a great man, but...
I think you'll be every bit his equal.▼
In time you might even surpass him.▼
- Don't be ridiculous!▼
- It's just my opinion. You need
not pay it any mind.▼
Yet, if you fear your own weakness,
why not take this chance
to go out and better yourself?▼
That would be more in keeping with
your personality, no?▼
- I suppose you're right.▼
- How did things look over there, Soren?▼
- Same as here. There are corpses
There are quite a lot of them,
especially when you consider how
far we are from the capital.▼
- Are they Crimean?▼
- ...Judging by the armor,
the vast majority of the dead
are Daein soldiers.▼
- So Crimea has the upper hand?▼
- Just the opposite, I think.
The Crimean soldiers were members
of the Imperial Guard.▼
That means King Ramon--or another
member of the royal family--was on
the move when Daein soldiers fell on them.▼
- Could it have been Lord Renning?▼
- No. As long as the Crimean army still
draws breath, Lord Renning will not
leave their command.▼
Perhaps another member of the court...▼
- We've got Daein soldiers moving in on our
location! And they don't look happy!▼
- You there! Who are you?
What are you doing here?▼
- We're no one you need--▼
- You're armed! Heed me!
Drop your weapons and surrender!
Act quickly, or else!▼
- Listen to me, fool. You're making
a mistake. We're not...▼
- Ah, not going to cooperate, eh?▼
Ready your weapons, men!
Move in and kill them all!▼
- Tsk! Headstrong fools!▼
- Getting caught up in some skirmish
is not part of the plan...▼
- But they're obviously not going
to listen to us.
Greil Mercenaries! Get ready to fight!▼
- All right, Ike. Let's see how you
handle the role of captain.▼
Well? What are your orders, boy?
We'll do what you say, so long as
you hurry up and spit it out!▼
- I know, I know! I'm thinking!
Give me a moment,
will you, Shinon?▼
- Bah. Useless! We'd be
better led with Mist than this
soft, untested whelp.▼
- Let's see...
We're in the middle of the road,
and there's not much cover.▼
Soren and Rhys are vulnerable,
so we have to protect them from
enemy attacks... Right?▼
- That's a sound strategy, Ike.
I can attack from behind your
defenses. Good thinking.▼
- Do you mean that? Um...all right!
Let's do that then.▼
- Bah! You're nothing more than
a bunch of ragtag sellswords.
Who are you to oppose Daein!?▼
You are so terribly ignorant of your
position in this world.▼
- You refused to listen to us, and then
you attacked without provocation!
Is this the way of the Daein army?▼
- You're a cheeky little monkey, aren't
you? Once you're dead,
you'll regret asssing me!▼
- A mage, eh? I'll have to keep my
guard up around you, no matter
how young you look.▼
- You forced this combat. We
cannot allow you to return
home. Are you ready to die?▼
- I've fought the Crimean army before.
The Imperial Guard has some skill,
but the rest are a poor joke.▼
Which will you prove to be? Hmm?
Perhaps you'll offer me some
entertainment after all.▼
- If you attacked us because you
though we were with the Crimean
army, you made a mistake.▼
I left my post years ago.
Now, I'm nothing more than
a common mercenary.▼
- That means nothing to me.
You're not Daein, you're
armed, and you're here.▼
It's our job destroy you.
Simple, wouldn't you say?
Come, dog! Prepare yourself!▼
- I'd just as soon avoid this bloodshed,
but that seems unlikely. If that's
the way it is, I'll not hold back!▼
- Grrr! Blasted mercenaries.
They're better than I expected.▼
Even so, they'll not prove a match
for Daein's finest!▼
- Gwaa haa... Wretched curs...
You will regret your decision
to oppose Daein...▼
- Did we suffer any casualties?▼
- Any wounded or dead?
No? Excellent! Well done!▼
- I don't know... Taking out these
Daein soldiers may have been a bad move.
Um... Hey, Shinon? What are you doing?▼
- This swine's got some nice weapons.
Besides, he ain't gonna complain.
He won't need them where he's going.▼
- Get ahold of yourself! We can't afford
such behavior right now. Steal from the
dead on your own time.▼
- What? You judgmental little--▼
- Soren! Shinon! Stop this at once!
This is no place for us to waste time
bickering amongst ourselves!▼
- Let's clear out of here. We have
to tell the commander what happened.▼
- Let's take this road. We should be able
to cut through the forest and...▼
- Something wrong?▼
- No, as I said, this road...▼
- Wait! Ike, I just saw something move
on the far side of that thicket!▼
- A wounded soldier, perhaps?
Let's go have a look.
- Oh, no...▼
- Did you find anything, Rhys?▼
- ...It's a woman...▼
- Leave her.
We shouldn't get involved in matters
that don't concern us.▼
- Thank goodness... It looks like
she's merely fainted.▼
- Right. We'd better take her with us
for now and make sure she's all right.
Give me a hand, will you, Rhys?▼
- Of course.▼
- ...I don't like this...▼